Kids Party Furniture
Waltham Abbey is served by Essex County Council recruited services and some non-subsidised services, linking the town to destinations in Hertfordshire, Essex and London.
Waltham Abbey’s nearest railway station is Waltham Cross, which offers a regular service to London Liverpool Street in the City of London. A lot of bus services in Waltham Abbey provide fast access to that station. The nearby London Underground station goes to Loughton. The closest Premier Division football club is Tottenham Hotspurs.
About Waltham Abbey
Waltham Abbey is a market town of about 20,400 people in the south west of the county of Essex 21 km (13 mi) NNE of London on the Greenwich Meridian, between the River Lea in the west and Epping Forest in the east. It takes its name from the Scheduled Ancient Monument Abbey Church of Waltham Holy Cross, which projected in the early history of the town. The ancient parish covering Waltham Abbey was referred to as Waltham Holy Cross. The town is in the District of Epping Forest, has its very own town council and is twinned with the German town of HÃrrstel.
It is this cross that offered Waltham the earliest suffix to its name. Waltham’s people made use of the abbey as their parish church, and paid their tithes, worked the glebe as well any of their lord’s land and paid various other fees to the canons.
Legend has it that after his death at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, his body was given Waltham for interment close to the High Altar. Today, the spot is marked by a stone piece in the churchyard (initially the website of the high altar prior to the reformation).
In 1177, as part of his penance for his part in the murder of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, Henry II refounded Harold’s church as a priory of Augustinian Canons Regular of sixteen canons and a prior or dean. In 1184, this was enlarged so that Waltham came to be an abbey with an abbot and twenty-four canons, which grew to be the richest abbey in Essex. To the abbey’s west and south, the town expanded as a linear development around a crossing roadway nevertheless had a single north-south “High Street” as late as 1848.
2 guilds were in medieval and early Tudor durations in the parish, each with an endowment for a priest: the Brotherhood of Our Lady, and the Charnel Guild, whose priest was likewise the parish curate. The previous, which existed from at least 1375, occupied the Lady Chapel in the parochial part of the church. The Charnel Guild, which takes place as ‘the Sepulchre’ in 1366, most likely used its crypt.
The town’s dependence on the Abbey is signalled by its decline after the Abbey was liquefied and demolished in 1540, the last working abbey or abbey to be liquefied as it was King Henry VIII favorite spot for finding and resting peace. Waltham Abbey vicarage is a 17th-century building, wood framed and plastered, the residence given by the Edward Denny, 1st Earl of Norwich to produce the first curacy, much altered in the 18th century and later on and architecturally Grade II \* listed. In the early 19th century the church held three Sunday services, including the one in the night for the factory workers.
The name of the old parish as a whole is Waltham Holy Cross, however the use of the name Waltham Abbey for the town appears to have stemmed in the 16th century, however there has actually commonly been inconsistency in the use of the two names. The former metropolitan area was named Waltham Holy Cross, rather than Waltham Abbey. Ermine Street lies just 5 km west and the embankment throughout the River Lea from Waltham Cross in Hertfordshire might be a roman construction.